[TxMt] files in project view

Cliff Pruitt lists.cpruitt at cliffpruitt.com
Mon Jul 2 16:22:19 UTC 2007

Tony,
I've not worked a whole lot with projects stored on a network drive
(partially for the reason you describe) but I can tell you that
locally TextMate does recognize changes, but not always
"Automatically" the way that, say, the Finder would.  TextMate needs
to re-scan your project directory before it will show changes.  This
usually just means switching to another application and back to
trigger the re-scan (TM scans when the App regains focus).

This is probably being done with your project but it's happening
slowly.  Th TM documentation states:

"Currently updating is done when TextMate regains focus and can be
slow for some network mounted disks, in which case you may want to
settle for only adding individual files to the project [...]"

http://macromates.com/textmate/manual/
working_with_multiple_files#auto-updating_projects

I've never liked working with projects over the network.  I find it
much easier (and faster) to keep a local copy of my project and just
FTP the changes over.  If you don't want to FTP after every change
(which honestly has never slowed me down) & you're using Apache/MySQL/
PHP anyway, why not just run it locally on your mac & then push out
the changes when you're satisfied?

- Cliff