[TxMt] Drag problem with LaTeX bundle

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Thu Oct 19 14:09:51 UTC 2006

On Oct 19, 2006, at 1:19 AM, Alain Matthes wrote:
> When textmate is updated, the bundles are not updated ?

They are, but the bundles might be updated without the core textmate
being updated. In fact, every day we have anywhere from 20 to 100
updates to the bundles. When a new version of TextMate goes out, it
contains in it a snapshot of how the bundles look like at the moment.

> it' a little difficult :
>
> I don't want to lose my prefs, my personnal commands and snippets
> etc....
>
> Which are the good way for updating ? I don't have the time to read
> all the messages of the list..
>
> Actually in my Latex Bundle i've Miscellaneous.tmDelta and now with
> subversion it's Miscellaneous.plist.
>
> Can you give the good method
>
> 1) for updating TM (actually in my prefs :  software updating ->
> Cutting Edge

Setting Software Update -> Cutting Edge like you have is all you have
to do for updating TM.

> 2) for updating Latex Bundle but i don't want to lose my personnal
> configuration : commands, prefs etc...

The simplest thing for that is to not use the subversion repository
at all. If you don't use it, then there is nothing you have to do to
stay up to date, except that you are not entirely up to date. You
will only be seeing changes in the bundle when a new TM version comes
out.

If you do want to stay up to date with the absolutely cutting edge,
most current version of the LaTeX bundle, you have to check out the
subversion repository. If you do this, then there are three places
where things live:

1. The location where you did the checkout, which should be probably:

/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Bundles/Latex.tmbundle

2. The version TextMate has built in, which is packaged inside the
application itself. (Items from this will only be used if the same
items don't appear in 1.
3.  The location where you have your local modifications. This is:

~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Bundles/Latex.tmbundle

This is the location that contains those tmDelta files. Those files
guarantee that if for instance you change the key equivalent for a
command, and then the text for the command changes, you will be able
to see both changes. In other words they only keep the information of
*what you changed*. So you can't lose those modifications you have
made unless you mess with this directory.

Now basically, the only thing you have to do is to tell subversion,
on a regular basis, to update the thing is 1. Typically you can do
this from the command line with a command like:

svn up "/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Bundles/Latex.tmbundle"

This should be all you have to do. There is no easy way, as far as I
know, to have this be done automatically for you, unless you schedule
it as a cronjob or some such, but I'll let someone else talk about
that.  Basically, all you have to do is run the above command
periodically. If you have also checked out from the subversion
repository the global support path, then you also have a folder
called: /Library/Application Support/TextMate/Support
You would need to do the same thing for that in this case. Since that
folder is not being updated as often as everything else, you probably
can get by without having it checked out.

I hope this helps.

> Thanks

Haris