[TxMt] GTD vs GTD2 vs GTDalt?

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Mon Oct 16 11:39:58 UTC 2006

Hi Alan,
On Oct 16, 2006, at 6:45 AM, Alan Schmitt wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm currently using kGTD as my tool of choice, but a pure text-
> based solution looks very attracting. I see there are several
> bundles mentioning GTD and I was wondering what were their
> differences and if they were all maintained.

I'll let Mike Mellor talk about GTD and GTD2, I'll focus on GTDAlt
which I wrote. I was using kGTD before that, so it is to a large
extend influenced by that. In particular, you can have projects and
subprojects, and if a project's name starts with an exclamation
point, it is permanent, meaning that it does not get marked as
completed once all the actions in it are completed. There is also a
system similar to the Quicksilver integration, where instead you use
quicksilver, with essentially the same syntax as for kGTD, to add
actions into a kind of "inbox file". Then from within GTDAlt, you can
ask for the inbox file to be processed, and the respective actions
are moved to their appropriate projects, or to a temp.gtd file if
they have no projects associated with them.

The one thing that doesn't work as well as expected is the "reset/
repeat" functionality that kGTD offered, though if I recall there is
something similar (been a while, and I don't use that feature that
much).

Most importantly, there is a converter that will take your kGTD file
and convert it to the GTDAlt format.

There is limited integration with Remind and iCal. The iCal
integration is not  very stable yet, though I think a couple of
people use it. Improving that is one of my goals for the bundle.

> Additionally, is someone using one of these bundles and somehow
> synchronizing their GTD setup to a Palm? If so, I'd be delighted to
> hear about it.

I don't have a Palm, so I can't really comment on that. Does this
synchronizing go through iCal? In that case, it should be
theoretically possible.

> Thanks a lot,

You do bring up an important point though, namely this plethora of
bundles for essentially the same task. Part of the reason for this is
that they all have pretty different workflows. There is some
discussion among the developers as to how best resolve the problem
that users like yourself face, so any feedback from users of the
bundles will be helpful. At the very least, it would be helpful to
find out how many people use each of these bundles.

> Alan

Haris