[TxMt] UI - redistributing the density

Eric O'Brien ericob at possibilityengine.com
Thu Feb 9 06:55:21 UTC 2006

"Density" is a very nice generic description of the problem!

By the way, in the following, I don't at all mean to be harsh!
Instead, I'd like to figure out how "what's in there" can be made
even more visible, available and understandable... to get even more
converts.  TextMate is a fabulous product and, rather then "upgrade"
BBEdit, I recently purchased TextMate instead.

Critique...

The functionality and power of TextMate is unevenly distributed in
its visual working space.  (Even more difficult, much of it is, in
fact, NOT visible at all.)

It is difficult to "discover" previously unknown functionality.  It
is also difficult to RE-discover ("remember") previously discovered
functionality.

Furthermore, the way that "I" mentally "clump" functionality often is
not the way it is clumped in TextMate.  For example... I remember
that I can do something.  But is it a built-in feature, or in a
macro, command or snippet?  (Oh! I just noticed:  apparently, the
"gear" icon combines access to all three?)

What was it called? ?    And, was it... THIS keyboard shortcut?
YIKES!  Hmm... well, that's actually sort of interesting.  I wonder
what I did?

If it's a built-in feature, is it under the "Edit" menu, or perhaps
the "Text" menu?  If not found in the "Text" menu, maybe it's in the
Automation > Replay Macro > Text menu.  OR, Automation > Insert
Snippet > Text.  OR... Automation > Run Command > Text.  Or maybe the
"gear" menu.  [Too bad my keyboard binding for that shortcut doesn't
work!]  Oops, well I guess (think) not.  Hmm... maybe it's under the
"Edit" menu?  ;)

!!

I have a horrible urge to shout for the inclusion of Toolbars
(Multiple! and Fully Configurable! Of course.)  And Floating
Palettes.  LOTS of floating palettes.  All, also (of course) Fully
Configurable.  Lots of drag, drop, stretch and perforate.  And a
Unified Keyboard-Shorcut/Keybinding Editing & debugging Panel.
Also... well, Fully Configurable.

OK, my tone is somewhat flippant.  But seriously, in TextMate there
is "more than meets the eye."  How do we bring that to the surface
and make it more coherent and accessible?  Without dynamiting the
fish pond.

By which I mean that implementing "A Palette for Every Function and a
Function for Every Palette" (or something) will simply smother the
existing interface.  Bringing "everything to the surface" (that's the
dynamite in the fishpond) is not a good solution.

Over-stuffed drop-down menus begat hierarchal menus.  Overstuffed
hierarchal menus begat "tear off" menus (palettes).  Overstuffed
palettes begat "tabbed" palettes.  Then the tabbed palettes grew
their OWN hierarchal ("flyout") menus and I'm afraid we've come full
circle!  I don't know where the heck "tool bars" and "gutter bars"
got into the picture.  :)   Now we've got scrolling, collapsing
sidebars (has anyone looked at Adobe Lightroom?)  And don't forget
"twirl-down" menus.  Hierarchal, but instead of popping out, they
reveal their contents (like the "reveal" triangle in the Mac
Finder).  I'm skeptical that ANY of this makes functionality any more
accessible or discoverable than if it was simply dumped into a
gigantic "bubble" that users could simply re-arrange to their own
liking.  Rather like a "desktop" in this case.

Hmm!  Maybe we need a "Dashboard-like" feature!!  Press a button and
your editing interface switches to a completely customizable
"TextMate Dashboard" interface.  Users get to scatter WHATEVER they
want anywhere on this alternative "desktop/control surface/utility
panel/macro switchboard"... whatever you want to call it.  Why should
"Preferences" or the bundle editor be constrained a dialog box?  Why
not give it an entire new view into the application?

Users can organize commands, macros, snippets ... WHATever, here in
any way they like.  All the (and any of the) CLUTTER would (here) be
constrained to the TextMate "Dashboard," leaving the editing
interface sleek and tidy!  Oh!  I'm liking this.  Excuse me for a
moment while I duck out and grab a patent or two.

OK, I'm back.  Maybe the TMDB ("TextMateDashBoard") has a terminal
window sitting ready to type into.  Maybe it also has that wished-for
SFTP window.  Maybe ... ??  Maybe there can be more than one TextMate
"screen set," "virtual desktop" or "dashboard."    ??

Well, I don't have a lot of answers to this problem right now  [Oh,
yes I do!  Look at that "dashboard" idea!  ;) ].

I want [some of] the benefits of toolbars and palettes, but not the
added clutter of them.    And since the user community currently has
to rely pretty much on a single programmer in this, I would not want
Allan spend most of his energy programming Palette Behavior.  Ugh.

eo