[TxMt] UI - redistributing the density

Brad Choate brad at bradchoate.com
Thu Feb 9 07:22:44 UTC 2006

I totally agree that there is much to TextMate that doesn't meet the
eye. Or things that are just difficult to remember. Such as
keystrokes for various commands. My biggest frustration with TM is
keeping track of all the modifier keys. One way to reduce the
complexity of FINDING what you want is to have a search function.
Something spotlight-ish.

We already have Cmd+T and Cmd+Shift+T for search-as-you-type for
files in a project and symbols in a file.  I'd love a key that would
present a search window for searching through bundle command/snippets/
macros.  It would search as you type and would display any available
shortcut key on the right to help jog your memory.

The list could even be ranked in order of applicability by examining
file type and scope with extra weighting based on usage.  THAT would
rock.

Also, for commands, I could even see typing a space after the search
abbreviation-- then, any arguments entered after the space could be
fed to the command as actual command line arguments. For example,
typing "svnc" or maybe "ci" would find the subversion commit command.
Then follow that with a space and the rest of the line might be the
comment to log for the commit.

I think most of us aren't afraid using a keyboard at a command
line... so why not leverage that? Sometimes it's just easier than
navigating pages of menus and complex toolbars.