[SVN] TextMate and Xcode projects

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Thu Mar 3 21:03:49 UTC 2005

On Mar 3, 2005, at 21:28, Chris Thomas wrote:

> So, converting Xcode projects to TextMate projects actually works.

Very cool! Though I have a problem using it. For me, my Xcode projects
are directories with an actual project (with the .pbproj extension)
inside. But your tool doesn't like that file:

2005-03-03 21:54:34.747 testconvert[14670] *** Uncaught exception:
<NSUnknownKeyException> [<PBXProject 0x529880>
setValue:forUndefinedKey:]: this class is not key value
coding-compliant for the key knownRegions.
zsh: trace trap  ./testconvert
~/Source/TextMate/TextMate.xcode/project.pbxproj

> But I'm not sure what to do with it. The best UI that can probably be
> implemented at the moment is to use AppleScript to get the frontmost
> project in Xcode and send it through this tool.

Thinking a little ahead -- when I redo the project drawer I'll
introduce different sources (ftp, svn, etc.) and it'd be nice to have
these sources done as plugins, so geeky users can make an IMAP source
etc. ;) I'm thinking that then this Xcode project converter/importer
could also just be a source.

> Really, what I'd like to see is that when I drop an Xcode project on
> TextMate, it would automatically run this tool.
>
> This could be accomplished by implementing a new variant of commands:
> project file format importers. These might be scripts implemented like
> the HTML Output commands. Accept one argument: the source project
> path. Write a complete TextMate project plist to stdout.

Or perhaps this could be another form of activation -- already I want
the drag commands to be as normal commands, but let “file type XYZ
dropped” be an activation possibility.

Having TM appear as being able to load Xcode projects would definitely
be an advantage and should be the goal.