[TxMt] Re: Code preview in Finder

John DeSoi desoi at pgedit.com
Sun May 17 12:27:10 UTC 2020

> For example for a .tex file I now get dyn.ah62d4rv4ge81k3p2 as its kMDItemContentType.

That does seem to be the issue. For a .4dm file I get

kMDItemContentType                 = "dyn.ah62d4rv4ge8xk3dr"
kMDItemContentTypeTree             = (
   "dyn.ah62d4rv4ge8xk3dr",
   "public.item",
   "dyn.ah62d4rv4ge8xk3dr",
   "public.data"
)

> I have tried to reset the launch services database, reboot, etc., but to no avail.
>
> This system has always been a little flaky, but maybe with macOS 10.15 it is more flaky than usual…
>
> Would you happen to see this on macOS 10.15 as well?

I'm having this issue on 10.14.6. But I copied the bundle another Mac running 10.15. In this case the mdls output looks completely correct, the text shows in the Finder preview, but it is not syntax colored. Same for other source files (js, json, etc), plain text shows up in Finder preview and quicklook, but it is not syntax colored. Rebooting did not help. qlmanage shows TextMate as the quicklook handler for public.source-code.

I tried resetting the launch services database on the 10.14 system:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

After that all source files including .4dm showed as plain text with no syntax coloring.

Next I installed TM 2.0.15 in Applications (I had 2.0.6 in /Applications/Tools). Suddenly syntax coloring was working for all file types including .4dm. But all the previews were in dark mode which I had not seen before. I could live with that. But then I rebooted and was back exactly where I started. No preview for .4dm and the other source previews worked (but not in dark mode).

Thanks again for all your help on this.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.