[TxMt] Re: Code preview in Finder

Sat May 16 03:12:31 UTC 2020

On 11 May 2020, at 21:05, John DeSoi wrote:

> 4D forms are stored in .4DForm files which are really just JSON files.
> I added that extension to the JSON bundle and the .4DForm files
> properly show in the Finder preview. But they also show "\0\0\0\0" for
> GetFileInfo. I'm not seeing that my 4D bundle does anything different
> from the JSON bundle.

The stuff in the bundles does not affect Finder’s (or the system’s)
treatment of files. For that, it must be in TextMate’s `Info.plist`.

But as 4D already have the correct definitions, this should not be
necessary.

You can try to run `mdls «file»`, for example for `main.mm` I see
this:

	kMDItemContentType                     =
"public.objective-c-plus-plus-source"
	kMDItemContentTypeTree                 = (
	    "public.objective-c-plus-plus-source",
	    "public.source-code",
	    "public.plain-text",
	    "public.text",
	    "public.data",
	    "public.item",
	    "public.content"
	)

This indicates that `.m` has been registered as conforming to
`public.source-code` (which is one of the types handled by TextMate’s
Quick Look plug-in).

As for `GetFile` / `SetFileInfo`, those are legacy, so while they do
“fix” it, it’s not how it’s supposed to work.

All that said, in the last few days, both file type registration and
Quick Look plug-in has stopped working on my own system (macOS 10.15).

For example for a .tex file I now get `dyn.ah62d4rv4ge81k3p2` as its
`kMDItemContentType`.

I have tried to reset the launch services database, reboot, etc., but to
no avail.

This system has always been a little flaky, but maybe with macOS 10.15
it is more flaky than usual…

Would you happen to see this on macOS 10.15 as well?