[TxMt] Re: TextMate with Catalina

Andrew Hodgkinson ahodgkin at rowing.org.uk
Mon Feb 24 23:13:52 UTC 2020

On 25 Feb 2020, at 10:09, Dr Eberhard W Lisse wrote:

> Generally speaking my experience over the years is that one should
> update as soon as new versions or upgrades come around.

IMPORTANT: All of this is anecdotal - just my experience and opinions.

As a counter-opinion, I've found Catalina to be one of the most
bug-ridden Mac OS releases since 10.4.3 (Tiger) where I first started my
Mac "journey". The early OS X Lion releases were bad too, but by about
".2" these were settling down while Catalina continues to irritate. As a
developer, it has been something of a nightmare and I only upgraded
because I was essentially forced into it by the iCloud
backwards-incompatible data formats Apple foisted upon us in iOS 13
(Notes, Reminders) coupled with a new machine at work which had Catalina
preinstalled.

TextMate is generally OK on Catalina these days. I do see problems with
files not refreshing when changed on disc. I've had some data loss arise
from that - thank heavens everything is in a Git repo! - but can't
comment on what part of the software stack is to blame; maybe the same
thing would have happened on OS X 10.14. I do also see the weird
fails-to-redraw-on-scroll issues with TextMate 2.0.x which others have
reported and a few problems with tabs not redrawing or positioning
properly, but I'm fairly sure I've seen that kind of thing on
pre-Catalina releases too. Apart from the file refresh trouble, I
wouldn't say anything too serious has gone wrong. I see the same sort of
issues on:

* A 2011 MBP hacked up to Catalina via the DosDude 1 patcher.
* A 2014 Retina MBP that was upgraded to Catalina from Mojave.
* A 2020 16" Macbook Pro that shipped with Catalina preinstalled.

...so that's a huge spread of hardware age and capability, pretty much
ruling out hardware variations and (as much as one can be certain of
anything of this nature) confirming the issues as software based. I have
seen similar problems with Catalina especially around sleep->wake
recognition of attached USB devices like audio adapters, HDMI capability
detection failures and numerous redraw bugs with:

* A 2012 Mac Mini (the "last known good" model with Firewire) upgraded
to Catalina from Mojave.

...but don't use TextMate on that machine.

There are few patterns to Catalina's problems. It's just random and
buggy. External monitors change their left-right order, brightness on
the laptop is at full on wake from sleep, colour profiles are
forgotten... All in all, it takes away 32-bit support - a huge loss -
but gives nothing back in terms of speed or footprint. The iTunes split
into Music etc. has literally just meant the bug count has tripled,
across Music, Podcasts and TV, and somehow the Music app at launch takes
about twice as much RAM to display the same things as iTunes did. Since
10.15.0, Music app features have been *removed* rather than added (it's
no longer possible to scrub through a track using trackpad gestures with
the pointer hovering over the position bar, and Podcasts/TV didn't
support that from the outset anyway). So it does less, but it's somehow
more bloated. I'm able to compare the two side by side thanks to
https://github.com/cormiertyshawn895/Retroactive.

Apple are still providing full security updates to OS X 10.14, so if you
have no other compelling reason to move, my vote is that I recommend you
do not upgrade. Catalina gives you nothing of value in return. Perhaps
wait for 10.16 to see if the debacle and brand damage of 10.15 and iOS
13 has convinced Apple to review and improve their quality assurance
processes.

--
TTFN, Andrew Hodgkinson
Find photos, software, music and more at my home site, Bandcamp and