[TxMt] Re: Dependency cycle between plist/headers <-> cache.capnp.h?

Thu Jun 27 06:07:48 UTC 2019

On 12 Jun 2018, at 0:20, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> For the dependency cycle that ninja “did not detect”, I do
> actually have some (non-committed) code that improves on dependency
> detection which would have caught this, but it’s not just a simple
> “source depends on header” issue, but about link dependencies,
> which can be a little tricky, as you can’t assume that including a
> header file means you necessarily wants to link with the library to
> which the header belongs, for example some sources may include
> oak/debug.h but do not want to automatically link with my oak debug
> library, unless in debug mode, and iirc that was the primary reason I
> didn’t yet push the code that automatically figures out link
> dependencies.

For anyone interested in this stuff, I have updated the build process:
https://github.com/textmate/textmate/commit/412e6798ca206b15cdc8f86a1387835a3f4f82e7

This should address the issues some have experienced during initial full
build where a header is unavailable because that target has not yet been
built yet.

More details in the commit message.