[TxMt] sudo mate no longer possible?

Ben Ubois ben at benubois.com
Mon Jul 29 11:31:34 UTC 2019

Hello,

I'm running TextMate version 2.0-rc.27.

It seems that I'm no longer able to edit files that are not owned by
me by using `sudo mate` or plain `mate`.

Steps:

1. Run `sudo mate /etc/hosts`
2. Enter my username and password in the terminal
3. Make a change
4. Save the file

Expected: The file is saved with the new contents

Actual: an error modal is show with the following contents:

Title: The document “hosts” could not be saved.

Body: Failed replacing hosts with
/var/folders/w8/0pc0dw1d4zd9knf_qm4ls1bc0000gn/T/TemporaryItems/(A
Document Being Saved By TextMate)/hosts: You don’t have permission to
save the file “hosts” in the folder “etc”.

So far I have tried:
- Granting "Full Disk Access" to TextMate in System Preferences ->
Security & Privacy -> Privacy
- Uninstalling and reinstalling `mate`

Please let me know if there's any more information I can provide.

Thanks!