[TxMt] Re: Theme settings explanation

Mon Aug 26 08:20:57 UTC 2019

On 23 Aug 2019, at 20:33, Umberto Cerrato wrote:

> About the fact that these fields are more for other bundle items: you
> are right, those settings are quite always there, but I think they
> have to have a functionality. Otherwise why not removing them? (e.g.
> Language Grammars has different/more fields. (Although those one are
> always there…)).

We prefer to keep things general because they *can* be used, and some
users do find creative ways to do things.

In the case of the scope selector, this limits the scope in which the
key equivalent or tab trigger has an effect.

So for example in the case of themes, let’s imagine we have two
themes, theme A and theme B. We could assign both of these themes a key
equivalent of ⌘1 but different scope selectors, e.g. `source.c` and
`text.html`.

What this would allow is to press ⌘1 in a `source.c` file and switch
to theme A, yet in `text.html` the same key would switch to theme B.

If someone would actually find this useful, I do not know, but knowing
that all bundle items can (more or less) be treated the same, I think
has value in itself.