[TxMt] Re: LATEX - no pdf created

René Schwaiger sanssecours at me.com
Thu May 31 10:28:00 UTC 2018

Hi Christian,

> On 31.05.2018, at 11:37 , Christian Döhler <chrd at posteo.de> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I am working on a publication with Language Science Press. and I have problem compiling the template. I am running Textmate version 2.0-rc.4 on OSX 10.13.4. I have recently upgraded to MacTex 2018. The problem is that no pdf is created from Textmate. It is a bit odd.
> I would like to ask if someone here can try to compile Language-Science-Press' monograph template which can be downloaded from here. (or the directlink). It works with other editors like Texshop as well as from the command line. But not with Textmate. On the other hand, I can compile other .tex files with Textmate. So I am a bit lost as to why this is happening.
>
> Best
>
> Christian
>
> ps: I have tried some general things from a previous discussion in this mailing list and they worked fine for me:
>
> After that I translated the following document:
>
>     \documentclass{article}
>     \begin{document}
>       Test
>     \end{document}
>
> in TextMate without any problems. Could you please try the following:
>
> 1. Create a new file in TextMate
> 2. Paste the LaTeX code from above into the document
> 3. Save the file in the folder `Downloads` using the name `Test.tex`
> 4. Open Terminal
> 5. Enter the following commands:
>
>    cd ~/Downloads
>    latexmk -pdf Test.tex
>
> 6. Does the command `latexmk -pdf Test.tex` print any error messages?
> 7. Does the folder `Downloads` contain the PDF file `Test.pdf`?

thank you for the detailed bug report. I tried to translate `main.tex` in TextMate, which did not work, just as you reported. After that I tried to compile the document using the command `pdflatex`, which failed printing the following error message:

    ! Class langsci/langscibook Error: Please use XeLaTeX!.

. The error message above states that you need to use XeLaTeX instead of the usual default engine PDFLaTeX. You can change the default engine **for all documents** via the menu item `Bundles`→`LaTeX`→`Preferences…`:

. Another (better) option might be to just change the engine for the **single document** by adding the line

    %!TEX TS-program = xelatex

at the top of the document `main.tex`. After that everything should work as intended. If it does not, please do not hesitate to ask again.

Kind regards,
  René