[TxMt] Re: Feature request: add scrollbar in "Failure running" menu

Tue Aug 21 07:07:45 UTC 2018

On 19 Jul 2018, at 8:43, Louis Abraham wrote:

> It would be great to be able to see the full traceback when a command
> fails!

I looked into this, but it’s a bit complicated because currently
TextMate uses the system’s error reporting (via `NSError`) so the
dialog is a system dialog presented with `presentError:` which does not
allow to augment it, other than add additional buttons.

So one could add a “Show Error Log” button, but that does feel a bit
clumsy.

I do wonder though in what context you need to read the full stack dump?

I ask because normally the stack dump is indicating that there is a
problem with a bundle item, but a few bundle items have incomplete error
handling and thus do show the stack dump in some edge cases, so I wonder
if you are requesting better presentation of the stack dump because you
run into these bundle items (in which case the better solution is
probably to just add better error handling to the bundle items) or as a
bundle developer.