[TxMt] Re: Persistance of search string over multiple programms

Martin Wilhelm Leidig listwatch at moss.in-berlin.de
Wed Feb 8 23:19:30 UTC 2017

Matt,

am 2017-02-08 um 19:38 schrieb Matt Neuburg <matt at tidbits.com>:

> Unfortunately we've been up and down this road. This is a feature of the system. I hate it too. All applications share something called the Find Pasteboard.
>
> https://developer.apple.com/reference/appkit/nsfindpboard

I feared that answer.  Thanks for the reference!

According to <http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/78894/is-there-any-way-to-disable-mac-os-x-global-search-string-propagation> this annoying “feature” has been around since the really early days, when Mac OS X was still called NextStep.

Hmm.  How come that never hit me in Mac OS X 10.[3456]?

> I particularly dislike this when I switch away from TM to do a find in a different program, come back, and discover that my carefully configured search has been destroyed.

\begin{rant}
Exactly.  I frequently switch from my TeX work file(s) to some packages’ manual PDF in Skim, searching there for something, just to find the last search string from there in the TM search after switching back.  Same in the other direction.  I can’t remember _one_ occasion where I found that behaviour useful.  Completely useless “Feature”.
\end{rant}
Sorry.

> I’ve asked for a preference that would allow us to decouple TM's search fields from the Find Pasteboard, but this has been flatly refused.

Why?

>> On Feb 8, 2017, at 6:59 AM, Martin Wilhelm Leidig <listwatch at moss.in-berlin.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hello *,
>>
>> not sure if this is a TM problem/feature at all; but I found it there, so …
>>
>> Using TM 2.0-rc.4 and Skim 1.4.26 (100) on El Capitán 10.11.6, I have an odd phenomenon concerning search strings: they persist over several programs.
>>
>> Example: In TM, I type something into the “Find:” field of the search dialogue, say “test123”. Then I change to Skim, and typing Cmd-F there I see “test123”.  Same effect in the other direction (search words from Skim appear in TM-search), same if I use one of the search dialogues in Skims side panes.  Also same with the mail search in Apple Mail.
>>
>> I find this “feature” highly annoying.  Is this some new Finder thing (I skipped from 10.6.8 directly to 10.11.x) or is it some TM thing?  How can I disable it?
>>
>> Thanks for all hints!

-Moss-
--
Programme sind schwer zu schreiben.  Sie sollen auch schwer zu lesen sein.
				-- Sprichwort klingonischer Programmierer