[TxMt] Re: LaTeX bundle stopped working correctly

René Schwaiger sanssecours at f-m.fm
Fri Oct 14 13:34:28 UTC 2016

Hi Andrew,

> On 14 Oct 2016, at 14:17 , Andrew Jaffe <a.h.jaffe at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi René,
>
> On 14/10/2016 12:37, René Schwaiger wrote:
>> Hi Andrew,
>>
>>> On 14 Oct 2016, at 12:47 , Andrew Jaffe <a.h.jaffe at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> [Apologies if this gets posted twice, as I sent it to both the gmane newsgroup and the list itself...]
>>>
>>> I've got TM running on two machines, both updated to the most recent build.
>>>
>>> On one machine, everything seems to be working fine.
>>>
>>> On the other, the LaTeX bundle has stopped working correctly when I try to "Typeset and View":
>>> - I need to explicitly add /Library/tex/texbin to TM's path  in Prefs>Vars. If I don't, it fails looking for kpsewhich. (This is not necessary on the other machine -- PATH is not explicitly set at all in the TM variables window.)
>>> - I can't "view" with anything but the TM PDF viewer (although I can select other options from the prefs window, but it doesn't affect the behaviour).
>>>
>>> On both machines the bundles are set to auto-update, and appear to be on the latest version from over the summer. *However*, if I actually look in the bundle editor, I do see differences. For example, on the non-working machine, there is an explicit check for kpsewhich, but not on the other one. And, indeed, if I look at the files in ~/Library/Application\ Support/TextMate/Pristine\ Copy/Bundles/LaTeX.tmbundle, I do find that they are from 2010!
>>>
>>> I also note that the directory structure of  ~/Library/Application\ Support/TextMate/is very different on the two machines.
>>>
>>> So, does this have something to do with the recent move from old Avian folders? Or is it just an unrelated local problem? In any case, please help!
>>
>> thank you for the detailed description of your problem. TextMate stores all managed bundles – those installed via `Preferences→Bundles` – inside
>>
>> 	~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Managed/Bundles/
>>
>> . I think you can solve your issue using the following steps:
>>
>> 1. Move all version of `LaTeX.tmbundle` outside of `Managed/Bundles` into the Trash. To locate these bundles you can use the following command inside Terminal:
>>
>>   mdfind -name '"latex.tmbundle"c' | grep -iE '\.tmbundle$'
>>
>> 2. Restart TextMate (`Ctrl` + `⌘` + `Q`)
>>
>> Hope this helps. If not, then please just ask again.
>
> OK, Thanks -- this does seem to work. However, I note that I've got a LOT of bundles (and a `Support` folder) in Pristine\ Copy/. I assume that those are all now shadowing more recent bundles, without any way to actually tell. I think this dir was once used to differentiate the original version of bundles from ones with edits (might it have something to do with the old "getbundles" package?).

TextMate uses `Pristine Copy/Bundles` to save bundles you manually installed via double-click. You can try this for yourself:

1. Download some bundle, e.g. the “Rainbow Dash”-Theme:

   https://github.com/sanssecours/Rainbow-Dash.tmbundle/releases/download/v1.3.0/Rainbow.Dash.tmbundle.zip

2. Double-click on the bundle
3. Click install
4. The folder `~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Pristine Copy/Bundles` now contains the bundle you just installed

> Should I just trash that folder?

I would take a look at each bundle in `Pristine Copy/Bundles` and check if it is also installed in `Managed/Bundles` or available via `Preferences→Bundles`. If it is, then you can just remove the bundle from `Pristine Copy/Bundles`.

As for `Pristine Copy/Support`: I never heard of that folder. All I can say is that my copy of TextMate works reasonably well without it.

> Or would it be safer for me to revert to a clean install?

I do not think that is necessary.

> And, why did this just start happening?

I do not know. Maybe it has something to do with the recent move of bundles from `Application Support/Avian` to `Application Support/TextMate`.

> Andrew

Kind regards,
  René