[TxMt] Re: Question about converting eps files to pdf files on the fly.

René Schwaiger sanssecours at f-m.fm
Tue Feb 17 07:27:36 UTC 2015

Hi Tao Zha,

> On 16 Feb 2015, at 23:19 , Tao Zha <zmail at tzha.net> wrote:
>
> Hi:
>
> The latest TextMate ( version 2.0-beta.6.8) no longer convert eps files to pdf files automatically when I use pdflatex.  I got the error message like:
>
> ------------------------
> Document Class: amsart 2009/07/02 v2.20.1
>
> !!! Error: Writing to gs failed, signal 5
>
> Latex Error: ./tableindustry.tex:199 Package pdftex.def Error: File `Figures/outfigpaper_prices-eps-converted-to.pdf' not found.
>
> 	• Including: Figures/outfigpaper_ratios2GDP-eps-converted-to.pdf
> ————————————
>
> In my preamble of my Latex file, I specify
>
> \usepackage{epstopdf}
>
> The previous TextMate version works for me by automatically creating the file "outfigpaper_ratios2GDP-eps-converted-to.pdf", but the latest version gives me the above error message.

looks like the conversion by `pdftops` fails for the specific Postscript file. You should get the same error if you translate the file with other tex tools.

One solution to fix this problem is to directly include a PDF version of the figure: Just open the file in Preview — which automatically converts the file to PDF — and save it with the name `outfigpaper_prices.pdf`.

(PDFLa)TeX should automatically use the “best version” of the figure — here the PDF file — if you don't specify the extension:

	\includegraphics[...]{Figures/outfigpaper_prices}

> Can anyone help me?

Hope the above works for you. If not, please just ask again.

> Thank you very much,
>
> Tao Zha

Kind regards,
  René