[TxMt] Re: Cannot build TextMate: test_network and test_SoftwareUpdate fail

Tue Sep 30 12:22:45 UTC 2014

On 30 Sep 2014, at 9:31, Boris Dušek wrote:

>> Both failures seems to be about not getting through to the test http
>> server TM sets up.
>>
>> Could it be that you have a proxy setup or something else network
>> related that could explain this?
>
> I am not aware about having any non-standard setup, I don’t think I
> ever did anything else network-wise than connecting to a Wi-Fi
> network.
>
> I tried again this morning (to try if it could be some temporary issue
> with my internet provider), I also tried connecting to internet
> through my iPhone as a hot-spot, I still get the same errors in both
> tests.

I mentioned the proxy because TextMate reads the proxy settings but
looking at the code, it does skip that for localhost.

And this is code connecting to localhost so internet environment
shouldn’t matter.

Re-reading the error you get, it does say: Failed to connect to
localhost port 64762: Connection refused.

So the issue seems to be that the server that the test code sets up
fails to listen on this port.

The server setup does abort() if it fails to create the listening
socket, but it doesn’t report any errors if accept() fails, so I added
a message for that and pushed. Though this is grasping at straws…

Have you rebooted since you got this error? Again, grasping at straws,
but I have never seen this code fail before and it’s about setting up
a listening socket…

> […]
> Looking forward to the updated README, as I cannot make sense of how
> to edit .ninja_log to achieve what I want.

Afraid my edit will just remove all info about this. There isn’t any
practical solution to skipping tests and I will likely have to make it a
./configure argument.

>> You can delete the two test files (that fail).
> This does not help as on subsequent ninja call, the files get
> reinstantiated and the same tests fail again.

I think you misunderstand. You need to delete
Frameworks/network/tests/t_download.cc — there is no way ninja would
restore that.