[TxMt] Re: Posting etiquette. Was: Auto Save and Versions

Justin Catterall 100621.1 at masonsmusic.co.uk
Fri Oct 24 09:07:00 UTC 2014

On 24 Oct 2014, at 00:56, Carpii UK <carpii.uk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21 October 2014 15:52, Justin Catterall <100621.1 at masonsmusic.co.uk> wrote:
>
> On 17 Oct 2014, at 19:01, Jason McC. Smith <jason at ncpod.org> wrote:
>
> Would you *please* follow mailing list convention with regard to where you place your reply in relation to the quoted text.
>

> Fair point. I'm guessing I'm one of the people you're referring to?
>
> Lets be honest though, majordomo style lists are a bit archaic these days.
> I know I've replied to the list before and my reply has ended up appearing as a top level thread, although I've still no idea why.
>
> I'm sure Im not alone in wondering exactly what the bare minimum is I need to quote, in order for it to appear threaded.  If you're happy to guide us through that, Im sure I wouldn't be the only one to benefit from it.

I was not suggesting you (or others) were quoting too much that was unnecessary, just *where* you (and others) were putting your reply. I agree that, in a technical discussion, if you're the one asking about something you aren't very familiar with, it can be very difficult to know what is relevant and what is not. I have no problem with erring on the side of caution and quoting everything if you don't feel you can discern what can be cut.

This mailing list, at least at the moment, has a reasonable amount of traffic. For those following it it is essential that doing so is as efficient as possible, we've all got jobs to be doing and following this mailing list isn't a relaxing pastime, we want to extract the content and move on as quickly as possible. So, for this to happen, it is better if we all stick to the same posting conventions.

Writing, quoting and posting this way may be archaic, but that doesn't mean it's broken.

--
Justin C, by the sea.