[TxMt] Re: Press and hold key for special characters (Umlauts)

Carsten Hoever hoever at gmx.de
Sun Nov 23 14:00:02 UTC 2014

> I need to type special characters (ä, ü, ö, ß) quite often.
> Normally on MacOS applications this is done by press-and-hold a key and then select the special character. For applications where this gets in the way (e.g. MacVim) this can be disabled.
>
> TextMate 2 seems to have this feature disabled by default. I can't figure out how to enable it. The command 'defaults write com.macromates.TextMate.preview ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool true' does not work.

I assume you are on an english keyboard layout? If so, you might want to consider to activate the "U.S. International - PC" keyboard as input source for OSX. You can write ä,ö,ü as " followed by a/o/e (other accented letters can be created in a similar way) and ß is simply alt+s. Works very smooth and fast for me, I could never go back to a german keyboard layout.

/Carsten