[TxMt] Re: re-defining an alternative keyboard shortcut

Etienne Samson samson.etienne at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 19:34:55 UTC 2014

> On 26 Jan 2014, at 8:10, Etienne Samson wrote:
>
>> I've overridden the default shortcut of "Text->Indent Line" & "Text->Indent Selection" to ⌃I using System Preferences (both since the menu item name changes depending on context), and the default one (⌥⌘[) can't be done on a French keyboard ("[" is ⌥⇧(, which end up being the same than "Shift Left" (⌘[) just above.
>>
>> The first time I open TM I have to click the Text menu so the shortcut registers, afterward it works fine, until I have to restart TM (for one reason or another, but thankfully that's not often).
>
> This is because the initial title of that item is “Indent Line / Selection” and is dynamically updated when either the menu is opened or the item is being invoked.
>
> If you also add a binding for this title, then it should work at launch.

This works, thanks for the suggestion ! It's just crowding a little more my keyboard shortcuts overrides, but it doesn't really matter ;-).

> I was under the impression that the key bindings set in System Preferences were checked at program launch, and the menu items had their key equivalent updated accordingly, thus one should always use the “initial title” and could ignore any dynamic titles.

> In my testing it would however seem that the dynamic titles must also be listed. This might be new, either OS update or when I switched to 64 bit (which did change several aspects of menu item behavior).
>
> Given that one (now) must list all the titles, it sounds like I should change the initial title to one of the states, to avoid this gotcha.

For the record, I've been running TM2 since about when it became public, and I think I overridden the shortcut mid-2013. I'm pretty sure it was before the 64 bit change, and that my 10.9 update was only 3 weeks ago (most of 2013 was under the 10.8 era, right ?). And I seem to remember that it was working at first but stopped somewhere in between. Dunno if that helps pinpointing anything...

Regards,
Etienne Samson
samson.etienne at gmail.com