[TxMt] Re: TextMate 2 can quit without offering to save open dirty documents

Sun Jan 19 09:52:09 UTC 2014

On 14 Jan 2014, at 1:23, Matt Neuburg wrote:

> […] Holy cow there are a lot of "untitled" documents in this folder.
> I don't know whether to be critical that these are kept for so long or
> to rejoice that these are kept for so long. :) Is it my job to clean
> these out manually from time to time?

Ideally TextMate would clean it up, but I think if you select “Don’t
Save” during termination, TM will instantly quit before cleaning up
potential backup files. There might also be a few other cases. I
haven’t considered it a serious issue, instead it’s sort of a
feature :)

> […]
> It just did it again. After using TextMate 2 for a while and then
> closing everything was open, one by one, I did a New, typed in it, and
> did a Quit - and TextMate vanished off the screen without offering to
> save. (And yes, it's in the Session folder all right, saved as
> "untitled 15".)

Did you use ⌘Q? Could it be that you have that key overloaded to send
“kill” to TextMate?

> Hmmm, you say "and furthermore not restore it after launch". But on my
> machine TextMate 2 does not restore anything after launch, ever. This
> may be because I have unchecked "Open documents from last session."
> But I have done that because I expect to be offered a chance to save
> when I quit […]

With this disabled, it should warn about unsaved untitled documents and
does so here.

> […] There is no "restore after launch" behavior on my machine (with
> my settings). And that's exactly how I want it - but only because I
> expect to be offered a chance to save _always_, not just most of the
> time.

It should be “always”. I don’t know what could cause it to not do
it all the time other than maybe a crash during exit? If you find a
pattern then do let us know. To check if you did have a crash during
exit, it should have added such info to Notification Center (unless you
disabled submitting of crash reports).