[TxMt] Re: TextMate 2 can quit without offering to save open dirty documents

Matt Neuburg matt at tidbits.com
Mon Jan 13 18:23:22 UTC 2014

> On 12 Jan 2014, at 13:11, Matt Neuburg wrote:
>
>> I just quit TextMate 2 with an untitled dirty document open, and TextMate forgot to offer to save it - it simply vanished off the screen and the work was lost.
>
> The session state during exit is stored in ~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Session/Info.plist and backup of open files is in the same folder. TextMate should be conservative about deleting backups, so you might still find it in that folder.

Yes, there is is! Thanks you.

Holy cow there are a lot of "untitled" documents in this folder. I don't know whether to be critical that these are kept for so long or to rejoice that these are kept for so long. :) Is it my job to clean these out manually from time to time?

> For the issue about not presenting a save dialog for an unsaved document (with a path) and furthermore not restore it after relaunch, that is not something I have heard reported before. If anyone sees similiar, it would be good to know about it.

It just did it again. After using TextMate 2 for a while and then closing everything was open, one by one, I did a New, typed in it, and did a Quit - and TextMate vanished off the screen without offering to save. (And yes, it's in the Session folder all right, saved as "untitled 15".)

Hmmm, you say "and furthermore not restore it after launch". But on my machine TextMate 2 does not restore anything after launch, ever. This may be because I have unchecked "Open documents from last session." But I have done that because I expect to be offered a chance to save when I quit, since other applications do this in a coherent fashion. Or it may be because in the General system preferences I have checked "Close windows when quitting an application." But again, my experience is that this makes behavior for other apps _more_ coherent and pleasant; see my various TidBITS articles on this topic.

Here's what I can say so far about what happens when there is an untitled dirty document open and I say Quit:

* If I say Quit and am offered a chance to save and I say Don't Save, TextMate saves a copy anyway, in Sessions.

* If I say Quit and am _not_ offered chance to save, TextMate saves a copy anyway, in Sessions.

* There is no "restore after launch" behavior on my machine (with my settings). And that's exactly how I want it - but only because I expect to be offered a chance to save _always_, not just most of the time.

m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = matt at tidbits.com, http://www.apeth.net/matt/
Programming iOS 7! http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920031017.do