[TxMt] Re: indented soft wrap, yet again

Matt Neuburg matt at tidbits.com
Thu Feb 27 16:33:09 UTC 2014

> On 26 Feb 2014, at 0:56, Matt Neuburg wrote:
>
>> The problem is manifested in various guises, but one of the main ways is that when I scroll up in a long document, the window hesitates for about a second before showing the new window-full of text.
>
> I believe you are seeing an issue with TextMate 2.
>
> If you have long paragraphs of (soft wrapped) text, you scroll up, and the text hasn’t been displayed before, TM’s lazy layout engine results in a suboptimal user experience, in that it will expand the single line scrolled into the view, to the full paragraph with all the text (enlarging the height of the buffer).

Allan - It's great that you know about this (and that you see it as an issue). But I still have two questions about this:

(1) One question is whether I can do anything about this effect. I've tried to avoid things that I thought might contribute to it: I'm using all one font and size and it is a monospaced font, and I'm trying to avoid indented soft wrap. I cannot actually avoid soft wrap itself, any more than Markdown would be able to. Is there any more I can do? Basically I'm trying to get TextMate 2 to behave like TextMate 1, i.e. to make the scrolling experience fast and without this "blink" effect.

(By the way, I think there may be another side effect of this lazy layout: the TOC menu does not always work properly. Sometimes I choose an item and the chosen item does not scroll into view. I think this is because the layout engine does not know where that line is, in terms of the whole height of the document.)

(2) I _still_ need a way to shelter myself from indentedSoftWrap! I can see that for some scopes, e.g. double-slashed comments, other bundles are fighting me: they are trying to do indented soft wrap, while I am trying to prevent it. I believe this is making TextMate unhappy. :) Apart from turning off this feature in each of the other bundles, which I would prefer not to do, what can I do about this? In other words, how can I shelter myself, within my bundle, from the attempt of other bundles to impose indentedSoftWrap upon me?

m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = http://www.apeth.net/matt/
Programming iOS 7! http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920031017.do