[TxMt] Re: Issue tracker?

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sat Apr 5 11:50:58 UTC 2014

On 2014-04-05 10:33, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> If the user is OK with mailing lists, then this list is fine
> (textmate-dev is sort of a legacy list that I am considering shutting
> down), otherwise one can write support or try IRC (where I am often
> available).

Now when TM2 is open source I think textmate-dev makes more sense then
ever. Personally I think that textmate-dev should be used when
discussion/asking questions about hacking TM2, developing plugins or
bundles. textmate-general can be used for anything else. Although there
isn't much traffic on textmate-dev.

> I’m not sure if GitHub Issues will be back, it felt like an unwanted
> chore, and as people can still submit bug reports or suggest features,
> the loss of the issue tracker is IMHO negligible — the main advantage
> people tend to claim is that one can search through existing issues,
> nonetheless I closed issues as duplicates daily, so in practice few used
> that feature, and was just burdening me with administrative work that
> was hard to outsource (and adding more noise to the issue tracker that
> degraded the searching experience).

I prefer publicly available bug reports. The advantage is you can search
of existing issues and track issues/features you're interested in.
Basically see what's going on in the development.

An idea could be to use something else than Github issues. Something
that only the TM core developers can create new issues but other people
can comment on. This would minimize the duplication of issues. I do
assume you already have some form of internal issue tracking/todo list.

--
/Jacob Carlborg