[TxMt] Re: Inconsistent use of Application Support folders

Michael Sheets mummer at whitefalls.org
Wed Nov 6 22:24:47 UTC 2013

On Nov 6, 2013, at 11:50 AM, Dominic Morgan <dom at d3r.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to symlink parts of my Application Support folder off into Dropbox so I can share between machines.
>
> In doing so, I noticed some rather odd behaviour. My belief was that TextMate2 used the ~/Application Support/Avian folder for everything you install and all it's deltas but that it still loads items from ~/Application Support/TextMate so that you can pull your old bundles/plugins etc. from TextMate1.

The reason for this is to be able to support running 1.x and 2.0 simultaneously. Any items that 1.x would load are put in Avian while items that it doesn’t know about are left in TextMate. The reason for the current duality is because everything will eventually move back under TextMate as we get closer to a final release and this means as little moving around as possible.

A note about Dropbox: 2.0 uses fsevents to monitor files and bundles for changes and Dropbox can trigger a bug that causes fsevents to no longer be updated for certain directories. So we recommend not using Dropbox for this purpose, at least until they or Apple correct this issue.