[TxMt] Re: Perl, Cmd+r not giving useful error messages

Justin Catterall 100621.1 at masonsmusic.co.uk
Wed Mar 13 15:23:52 UTC 2013

On 13 Mar 2013, at 10:15, Paul McCann <pmccann at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Justin and Allan,
>
> that error message rings some distant bells for me: maybe it's related
> to Perl's taint mode? Why would we be seeing a taint-related problem
> after changing the binary that "perl" points to? Perhaps because the
> file "perlcheckmate.pl" in the Perl bundle's support folder has a
> slightly mysterious shell-out to perl with -T turned on: line 33 of
> that file reads
>
> my @lines = `perl -Tcw "$file" 2>&1`;
>
> I'm guessing that if your path to the new perl may not be secure, or
> something like that --as per taint's requirements-- that message
> you're seeing might come flying out the other end. See "perldoc
> perlsec" for what triggers taint mode.
>
> Anyway, easy to check if I'm blowing my usual volume of hot air here:
> just remove the taint check (ie the "T" in the line quoted) and see if
> the error still appears. Then you can start the hunt in earnest!
>
> Good luck,
> Paul

Thanks for the pointer, Paul. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the solution. I removed the "T", opened a script, ran it to check it worked and that was fine, but if I introduced an error I got the same "exception_handler.pm" error, and not the usual useful Perl error messages.

I might try a perl newsgroup.

--
Justin C, by the sea.