[TxMt] Re: Perl, Cmd+r not giving useful error messages

Paul McCann pmccann at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 10:15:50 UTC 2013

Hi Justin and Allan,

that error message rings some distant bells for me: maybe it's related
to Perl's taint mode? Why would we be seeing a taint-related problem
after changing the binary that "perl" points to? Perhaps because the
file "perlcheckmate.pl" in the Perl bundle's support folder has a
slightly mysterious shell-out to perl with -T turned on: line 33 of
that file reads

my @lines = `perl -Tcw "$file" 2>&1`;

I'm guessing that if your path to the new perl may not be secure, or
something like that --as per taint's requirements-- that message
you're seeing might come flying out the other end. See "perldoc
perlsec" for what triggers taint mode.

Anyway, easy to check if I'm blowing my usual volume of hot air here:
just remove the taint check (ie the "T" in the line quoted) and see if
the error still appears. Then you can start the hunt in earnest!

Good luck,
Paul