[TxMt] Re: TextMate 1.5 and Ruby 2.0.0

Matt Neuburg matt at tidbits.com
Mon Mar 11 19:16:44 UTC 2013

wrote:

> I pushed an update where we explictly call the system ruby for the host
>script. I don't see a way we can tell ruby 2.0 we don't want this new
>feature without breaking compatibility with 1.8.7.

OK, I'll boldly try this in my copy of TextMate 1.5 and report back.

Meanwhile I have some immediate thoughts:

What if system ruby *is* Ruby 2.0? This could happen in the future, for
all one knows.

Isn't it desirable to be genuinely compatible with both 1.8.7 / 1.9.3 on
the one hand, and 2.0 on the other? It is easy to check for this thanks
to RUBY_VERSION. (This is a constant defined in Kernel module, hence
universally available.) My own code is full of checks of this sort. Ugly
but necessary during this transitional phase...

m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = matt at tidbits.com, http://www.apeth.net/matt/
Programming iOS 5! http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920023562.do