[TxMt] Re: TextMate 1.5 and Ruby 2.0.0

Sat Mar 9 20:22:16 UTC 2013

On Mar 9, 2013, at 5:21 PM, Matt Neuburg <matt at tidbits.com> wrote:

> […] TextMate's internal scripts must be prepared to deal with whatever version of Ruby they encounter in the real world that surrounds them...!

The problem is that ruby is being updated in a way where new versions can’t always run old scripts. It’s simply impractical to ensure that all ruby scripts used by TextMate work with every version of ruby, and for that reason, we only guarantee it works with the one that Apple includes with the OS.

When Apple moves to 2.0, we’ll update the scripts accordingly, until then, we must remain compatible with 1.8.7, but we accept patches when we can remain compatibile with both :)

>> Do you have any reference on ruby 2.0 closing non-standard file descriptors? […]
> […] as I said, take a look at http://ruby-doc.org/core-2.0/Kernel.html - under "spawn" […]

Tbanks, I see I didn’t read far enough.

> Hope this helps

I pushed an update where we explictly call the system ruby for the host script. I don’t see a way we can tell ruby 2.0 we don’t want this new feature without breaking compatibility with 1.8.7.

I didn’t update the unit test runner, as I wanted to be sure this change works (the old way RubyMate was called, is a little weird).