[TxMt] Re: Automation

Eduardo Francos efrancos at efrancos.com
Tue Jul 16 12:15:57 UTC 2013

Hi,
It's not just a thing of adding specific commands, but a communications system and API allowing for a better integration and interaction between the editor and its outside, including the bundles.
My immediate needs come from a bundle I developed, Navigator, that in short provides four navigation related tools: a push/pop position stack tool, a named or timestamped persistent bookmarks tool that works across documents, a source code tagging and lookup tool (ctags back-end) and finally an annotations tool.
The logic of the different functionalities and the HTML based UI requires quite a bit of back-interaction with the editor like calling bundle-defined or ad-hoc dynamically generated commands, setting the cursor position, obtaining information, etc.
I'm currently using TMTOOLS to do this type of things, but as you know it is not and may never be compatible with TM2 :-(

> error/warning — of course this could also be used for other stuff than errors and warnings, and I’m sort of thinking it might tie in with “find in folder”, mainly because I’m pretty happy with the UI and ease of navigating between search results, so no need

The 'find in folder' UI could indeed be reused elsewhere, by me among others ;-) My bundle includes 4 different browser like interfaces to do just that, and I'd love to be able to somehow send or return the positions list, formatted for the 'find in folder' dialog, and leave the rest of the navigation handling to it.
The 'find in finder' could be defined as "just" another type of output so that the bundle only needs to print the list. This doesn't seem very complicated is it? And it does not depend on an automation system. and fits into the current output handling system