[TxMt] Re: Saving changes file permissions??

Jeff Weinberger jeff at jeffweinberger.com
Tue Jul 9 14:45:36 UTC 2013

> On 9 Jul 2013, at 2:31, Jeff Weinberger wrote:
>
>  […] after I saved […] the execute permission was gone […]
>>

>> 1) Is this possible? Does Textmate do this?
>>

> No, TextMate will preserve the original file’s metadata.
>
> It will do an automatic ‘chmod a+x’ for certain file types (with shebang),
> via a bundle item, but that is the opposite of your issue.
>
> That said, if you open the file in Transmit then Transmit will download it
> to a temporary and open that temporary file in TextMate. When TextMate
> saves, Transmit will upload the file, so the issue is more likely with
> Transmit not preserving the server’s file meta data.
>
> I assume you did “touch” and “chmod u+x” on the server (via ssh or
> similar).

First, thank you! This makes perfect sense. I will check to see if Transmit
might be causing this.

I wonder, though, when you say that TextMate preserves the original file's
metadata, if that isn't the cause. Here's why I wonder:

The sequence of events is this:

- SSH to server with a terminal window
- touch filename
- open filename with TextMate via Transmit
- edit file
- save file (but keep it open in TextMate)
- chmod u+x filename
- ./filename
- edit in TextMate
- Save from TextMate (and keep open)
----> 'x' permission is gone

If TextMate re-writes the file with the metadata from the time it was
originally opened, then that would cause the issue. If it writes the file
without changing the then-current metadata (which have changed since it was
opened) then the issue is likely Transmit.

What do you think?

Thank you so much for your help and advice on this!