[TxMt] Re: Best Practices: Running TextMate v1.5 and v2 Together?

Sun Feb 17 17:11:06 UTC 2013

On Feb 17, 2013, at 1:45 PM, bobrocke <bob at bobrockefeller.com> wrote:

> It appears that TM2 creates a Cache folder and a Managed folder. The Managed
> folder has bundles in it that I assume are copied out of the TM2 application
> at first launch.

The Managed folder is for bundles managed via Preferences → Bundles. The Cache folder is an index of installed bundles. There are also other folders new in 2.0 like Session which is your current session — none of these are used by TM 1.x.

> TM2's uses bundles from ~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Managed and
> /Users/Bob/Library/Application Support/Avian/Bundles and
> /Users/Bob/Library/Application Support/Avian/Pristine Copy?

Yes, it reads from the Avian support folder so that 2.0 bundles can be installed there, and users can still run 1.x without issues. When 2.0 is out of alpha (or possibly beta) then we will probably discontinue support for Avian and have everything under TextMate, as people then shouldn’t run 1.x anymore, and we don’t care about allowing the two to run in parallel with separate set of bundles.