[TxMt] Re: TextMate 1 vs 2

Phil Schumm pschumm at uchicago.edu
Wed Feb 6 13:54:28 UTC 2013

On Feb 6, 2013, at 6:55 AM, bobrocke wrote:
> One of the nice features of TextMate 1 projects was their ability to gather folders from anywhere in the file system. TextMate 2 projects mirror the file system. Is there some way to mimic the v1 projects behavior in v2, or must we just move on? Maybe switch tools if it's a "must have" capability?

I haven't followed this issue very carefully; I believe the last word (from Allan) was that while he was not ruling out new features in the future which might replace some of what you could do with TM 1 projects (e.g., additional virtual data sources in the file browser), TM 2 definitely represents a change in design philosophy from TM 1 RE how projects are conceptualized.  I know how annoying it can be when someone else tells you that your own use case is not legitimate, and I have no wish to do that.  All I will say, however, is that conceptualizing projects in terms of portable directories with their own settings files is a huge help when working with Mercurial, Git, etc., and provides a lot of capabilities that did not exist in TM 1.  Also, strategies such as reorganizing files/directories and using sub-repositories combined with appropriate exclusions in your .tm_properties file(s) allow you to mimic some of what you could do with TM 1 projects.

That said, it may be that if you can't live without TM 1 projects, continuing to use TM 1 or using another editor/tool is your only option at the moment.  Others can correct me if I am mistaken.

-- Phil