[TxMt] Re: SVN scope, and a few other bits

Jeremy Whitlock jcscoobyrs at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 17:35:21 UTC 2012

> On 2 Sep 2012, at 16:25, Allan Odgaard wrote:
>
> > On Sep 2, 2012, at 5:09 PM, Jonas Zimmermann <listen at jonaszimmermann.de> wrote:
> >
> >> OK, I've been using ⇧⌘Y for a while. This doesn't show added folders (for SVN) as uncommitted, however. So commits depending on those folders (such as added files within) fail.
> >
> > That sounds like something that could easily be fixed if you provide steps-to-reproduce.

Thanks for including the steps as I was able to reproduce this.

> So added folders should be shown as uncommitted changes; don't know whether there should also be a check for dependencies when trying to commit (probably not).

I talked to Allan this morning and I am in agreement with you.  I've
suggested why to Allan in IRC but for posterity, I'll post here as
well.  Basically, Subversion treats folders as versionable objects.
They can be added/modified/deleted to the repository with/without
files in them and they even have their own versioned properties like
files do.  That being said, I think it makes sense to have a folder in
the "Uncommitted Changes" view whenever the folder has changes on
itself or below it.  While Allan and I talk about this in IRC, there
are a few workarounds:

* When committing from the "SCM Status" view, make sure there are no
files selected when you show SCM command (⌘Y) (Note: When you have no
files selected and initiate a commit, TextMate will show you all
changes in the working copy)
* Commit from the file browser and select the path(s) you want to
commit including the newly added folder (Note: When selecting a folder
and initiating a commit, it will of course include paths for all
descendants)

Using those two options above, I was able to work around this
situation.  The reason you're only seeing the file in the commit
dialog is because in your step #6 (6. Select new file there, ⌘Y,
Commit), you selected the file prior to initiating the commit thus
telling TextMate that you wanted to commit that file alone.

I hope this helps explain why this is happening and gives you a
workaround until Allan and I can come up with something suitable.

--
Take care,

Jeremy Whitlock (@whitlockjc on Twitter)
http://www.thoughtspark.org