[TxMt] Re: Experimental TM2 bundles: ApLo (HTML output window replacement), Xcode4

Sun Sep 2 14:23:01 UTC 2012

On Jan 23, 2012, at 1:04 AM, Gerd Knops <gerti-textmate at bitart.com> wrote:

> […] I wrote an application that provides multiple HTML output windows and remembers their individual placement and size. It is called ApLo […]

Have you considered bringing back something like TextMate 1.0’s simple output system where user supplied the pattern to match warnings/errors and then TextMate showed this in a list (I still remember you being upset when I removed this stuff ;) )?

Mainly what I want to achieve (this time) is having ⌘1-n to go to the n’th error/warning.

I do this all the time with Find in Folder, i.e. ⇧⌘F → enter text → ↩ → ⌘1 and boom! at the desired place in the source¹, and it feels very efficient and I miss this short when I see build errors, though the experience feels very close to doing searches, so much that I am thinking that the results view from Find in Folder could actually be re-used more or less as-is (speaking visually) for command output.

¹ I have a convention where I always call functions by following the name directly with the opening parenthesis, but when I declare it, it’s always separated by one space. This means if I want to go to the declaration of `some_function` I can simply search for `some_function ` and it’ll be found without the noise of all the calls to `some_function`. I believe this (and other) simple conventions are part of the reason why I never got into ctags.