[TxMt] Re: where to get latest TM2 alpha?

Martin Kühl martin.kuehl at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 17:15:32 UTC 2012

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 17:43, Erik Neumann <erikn at myphysicslab.com> wrote:
> The blog page at http://blog.macromates.com/2011/textmate-2-0-alpha/ points
> to r8930 version, but apparently there is an r8956 according
> to http://tm2tips.tumblr.com/.  Some questions:
>
> 1)  where to get the latest alpha?  Or should I assume the latest stable
> version is the r8930?

Install r8930 and use the builtin update mechanism. The latest stable
version is r9064 I believe.

> 2)  if I install the TM2 alpha, can I keep TM 1.5.10 around if needed?

Yes, just install them in different places.

>  Can I undo the TM2 install?

Yes, just trash the application bundle. TM1's Bundles and Preferences
won't be affected.

> I'm guessing that the 'mate' command changes can't be undone so
> easily.  (my main use of 'mate' command is during a git commit to
> open the change log file)

You can always remove one command and then reinstall the other. I like
to keep both around but with different names (`avian` for TM2).

> 3)  In general, since I use TM for work, I'm hesitant to install TM2 alpha.
>  Any comments/advice about that?  I would however like to try it so I can
> offer my brilliant and helpful comments to Allan about it.

There's no harm in installing it. Once you have, you can either try
moving over gradually or taking the plunge while knowing that TM1 is
there if you need it. I'm actually doing the former at work and the
latter at home.