[TxMt] Re: Some .tm_properties settings being ignored

Thu Jul 12 07:01:54 UTC 2012

On 9 Jul 2012, at 16:33, Steve King wrote:

> […] With so many different places properties can be set

Well, it is just file’s current folder and up through the file hierarchy :)

> it's often difficult to track down exactly which one has precedence.

The most local file type specific, if none, the most local non-file type specific.

> This problem is similar to CSS in which styles can be overridden by other style sheets.  Just to add to the growing list of feature requests, can something like Firebug's CSS browser be implemented for .tm_properties?

Well, I don’t know about that, but I certainly would like to provide a UI for setting values; the problem is that the possibilities of the text files are hard to manage in a UI, mainly that the files are scattered on disk, i.e. the “view” of what is in affect changes with selected file (and we would have to scan the entire disk to list all files targetted specifically).

I have maintaining settings in a single file (for all folders), while this would be easier to create a UI for, I think too many advantages are lost (having settings move around with your project, being version controlled with your project, etc.).

But definitely something should be made… for debugging purposes we could provide a simple tool that, given a path, lists all the settings sourced for that path, leave it as a user exercise to generate HTML from that mimicking the firebug stuff ;)