[TxMt] Re: TM2 - possible ESC completion bug for Obj-C++ syntax

Sat Jan 21 03:01:08 UTC 2012

On 19/01/2012, at 17.10, Hans-Jörg Bibiko wrote:

> 1)
> To reproduce
> - open a new window, set language to Obj-C++
> - press ESC ⇢ nothing happens - fine
> - press ⇥, and then ESC ⇢ "retain" will be inserted whereby I didn't type any character

Since there is no prefix/suffix it inserts first completion candidate which is taken from the scoped settings (which provide a list for Objective-C wherein retain is included).

> furthermore
> 2)
> - if I select something in a Obj-C++ doc and press ESC the selection will be replaced by retain
>
> I have no idea if this is a feature or a bug but I would argue that this is a bit weird since it could happen that one presses ESC more or less accidentally.
>
> At least a selection should be untouched and ESC-completion should only be invoked if there's at least one character left from cursor as it is in TM1.

Esc-completion changed to allow empty prefix (since it also looks at suffix now).

I can make it a no-op when both prefix and suffix is empty to help users who accidentally press keys and expect nothing to happen — the argument seems a bit weird though ;) but given that the result from pressing ESC is likely unpredictable, I won’t claim it is a useful feature to always get a completion candidate inserted, although it could perhaps be if say, a custom completion command is setup say, for my unit test files or at root level in @implementation … @end to insert boilerplate for the only unit that makes sense given the context (i.e. method for the latter, unit test body for the former).