[TxMt] Re: TM2: opening a collection of files with mate command

Stephen Bannasch stephen.bannasch at deanbrook.org
Sun Feb 26 04:07:38 UTC 2012

At 9:18 AM +0700 2/26/12, Allan Odgaard wrote:
>On 23/02/2012, at 02.31, Stephen Bannasch wrote:
>
>>  Here's a pattern I've often used in TM1
>>  [Š]
>>  $ ack -l cursor src | xargs mate
>
>If you use Ü-F (searching for 'cursor') you can set the folder to
>'src' or enter 'src/**/*.{c,h}' in the 'matching' glob field to
>achieve something similar.
>
>After the search, click first match and use G to go through all
>matches, switching file when it hits end of first etc. and/or click
>the disclosure triangle in the Find All results header to collapse
>all matches and get a (clickable) list that very much mimics the
>result of the project folder in 1.x resulting from your 'xargs mate'.

My email client (Eudora) incorrectly parses the text between
shift-command-F and command-G in your reply. I haven't
noticedproblems parsing utf8 text before using Eudora.

I'm wondering whether this affects anybody else?

I'm also wondering if the garbled section in my message quoting of
Allan's response is parsed correctly or incorrectly (I can check
later on the list archive).

Here's what it looked like to me in the original message reply:

   https://img.skitch.com/20120226-gbdaq2jjdca63p4qjxtgem229w.jpg

Here's what the garbled section said:

   shift-command-F (searching for 'cursor') you can set the folder to 'src'
   or enter 'src/**/*.{c,h}' in the 'matching' glob field to achieve something
   similar.

   After the search, click first match and use command-G

The text of your message appears fine here:

   http://lists.macromates.com/textmate/2012-February/034566.html

I agree the new find command is much more powerful and does cover
some of the use cases I described.

>  > [Š] I'd like an arbitrary collection of files passed to TM2 via
>the mate command to be represented and searchable as a collection.
>
>Noted, though for the use-case mentioned, it sounds like
>generalizing the filtering capabilities offile browser, file chooser
>(T), and find in folder (Ü-F) would be ideal as it would then
>allow the same but be more discoverable + visual feedback (though I
>know that using 'find Š | xargs mate'effectively has unlimited
>filtering potential that TextMate cannot capture).

Generalizing the filtering would be quite powerful and useful.