[TxMt] Re: TM2: opening a collection of files with mate command

Sun Feb 26 02:18:52 UTC 2012

On 23/02/2012, at 02.31, Stephen Bannasch wrote:

> Here's a pattern I've often used in TM1
> […]
> $ ack -l cursor src | xargs mate

If you use ⇧⌘F (searching for ‘cursor’) you can set the folder to ‘src’ or enter ‘src/**/*.{c,h}’ in the ‘matching’ glob field to achieve something similar.

After the search, click first match and use ⌘G to go through all matches, switching file when it hits end of first etc. and/or click the disclosure triangle in the Find All results header to collapse all matches and get a (clickable) list that very much mimics the result of the project folder in 1.x resulting from your ‘xargs mate’.

> […] I'd like an arbitrary collection of files passed to TM2 via the mate command to be represented and searchable as a collection.

Noted, though for the use-case mentioned, it sounds like generalizing the filtering capabilities of file browser, file chooser (⌘T), and find in folder (⇧⌘F) would be ideal as it would then allow the same but be more discoverable + visual feedback (though I know that using ‘find … | xargs mate’ effectively has unlimited filtering potential that TextMate cannot capture).