[TxMt] Re: Coloring Syntax

DZ-Jay dz at caribe.net
Fri Oct 14 08:54:17 UTC 2011

Hello John,

You can match multiple tokens on the same line and assign them to different coloured groups like this:

		{	name = 'meta.entity.ksp';
			match = '^(\%)([a-zA-Z0-9_]\w*)';
			captures = {
				1 = { name = 'punctuation.ksp'; };
				2 = { name = 'entity.ksp'; };
			};
		},

Notice that both tokens to be identified have parentheses around them in order to be captured.  The "captures" list follows standard regexp convention, that is, 0 is the matched string, 1 is the first matched group in parentheses, 2 is the second matched group, and so on.

Not specifying the "captures" list (like in your example) is the same as using capture "0," which is the entire matched string.

In my example, I assigned a different syntax scope identifiers to each token, allowing me to colour them individually.

By the way, the character class "[a-zA-Z0-9_]" is exactly what "\w" represents, so you could shorten your pattern to,

which matches at least one, possibly more, contiguous word characters.

I hope this helps.

	dZ.