[TxMt] Re: Spelling and Printing

saschaview at gmail.com saschaview at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 13:17:38 UTC 2011

On 15.05.11 13:51, Hans-Jörg Bibiko wrote:

 > Hi Sascha,
 >
 > her is my workaround:
 >
 > On 15 May 2011, at 11:53, Sascha Vieweg wrote:
 >
 > > TM does not detect the language I am typing in, perhaps because it
uses a non-Apple document window. Anyway, always changing the system
language to get correct spell check on the fly (as suggested in the
thread) could hardly be a working solution. In addition, quite often I
write source documents in various languages, e.g. English and German,
and that makes a "one language per document" unusable.

 > I'm using the TMTOOLS plugin
 >
 > site: http://www.eva.mpg.de/~bibiko/downloads/textmate/index.html (at
the bottom)

 > Then I have two bundle commands:
 >
 > name: Set spell checking language to German
 > input: none
 > output: none
 > command:
 > "$TMTOOLS" set spellCheckerLanguage '{to=de_DE;}'
 > key equivalent: CTRL+3
 >
 > and
 >
 > name: Set spell checking language to English
 > input: none
 > output: none
 > command:
 > "$TMTOOLS" set spellCheckerLanguage '{to=en_GB;}'
 > key equivalent: CTRL+4
 >
 > One can also bind both commands to one key shortcut, and make usage
of the TMTOOLS command
 > "$TMTOOLS" get currentSpellCheckerLanguage
 > to toggle the languages.
 >
 > > There has also been an issue with an advanced print dialogue (but I
cannot remember the posting). It is quite nice that TM adds headers and
footers, however, TM does not print coloured syntax, and leaving a
margin of about 1cm makes the printout unusable for punching and filing.
In addition, 11pt Monaco is quite good on my screen but printing in that
font size is rather a waste of space on the page. Of course, I know,
that one may produce a html (nicely coloured, indeed), open that one in,
say, Firefox, and print the html page.

 > Here I'm using the TextMate bundle command "Create HTML from
Document" to get an HTML document and write a tiny script for setting
fonts, sizes etc.; then display it in the Web Preview and press ?P for
printing.

Thanks for the help and the hints concerning TMTOOLS. For some months I
have been using these workarounds. Yet, I still find it cumbersome and
ineffective to set up specific scripts for these two basic things,
spelling and printing. I was wondering whether there is current work in
progress on the incorporation of Apple's native spelling mechanisms and
a better printing layout/setup? As far as I understood, this question
translates into 'Is there work in progress to use OS-Xs native text
window (such as the one found in TextEdit.app) in a future version of
TM?' Thanks for your hints and advices.

Bests
*S*

Sascha Vieweg, saschaview at gmail.com