[TxMt] Re: Projects are gone in TM2?

Wed Dec 14 16:22:19 UTC 2011

On 14 Dec 2011, at 15:59, Reaves, Timothy wrote:

> Any code editor without project support just does not understand software
> development.

You really expect me to spend time trying to understand your workflow and spend time adopting my software to better suit your needs with an opening like that?

> Presumably you use Xcode.

No, I would be far far less productive in Xcode *including* the project aspects.

TextMate consists of some 30+ frameworks each with their own unit tests — by creative use of .tm_properites I have ⌘B always run the proper make goal, including temporarily changing a certain framework to only have its unit tests run or a special “GUI” test if I’m developing a component that can be tested “outside” TextMate.

I also have adopted a few actions depending on where I am in which project/file, all via the use of the folder specific .tm_properties.

> I do not want a 'favorites', as that's just silly […]

I often just skim people’s feedback because there is far too much to read, so a word of advice is to avoid superfluous text like calling things ‘silly’ and go on for lines and lines about the same thing…

> And '.tm_properties' being far more flexible?  Really?  Becausr you're not
> a real coder if you don't modify your own dot configuration file? […]

Maybe hold judgement till you have learned more about what these allow.

> 1980 called and wants their hidden files back […]

OK… I stopped reading here…

In the future, please be more constructive, less judgmental, and avoid the insults.