[TxMt] Re: Site license inconvenience

Wed Aug 25 13:39:34 UTC 2010

On Aug 23, 2010, at 5:10 PM, Randy J. Zauhar wrote:

> What I discovered, to my dismay, is that registering TextMate using the local admin account does not unlock it for a network user. (When I logged on using a test student account, I needed to register again.)
>
> This will be, to put it mildly, a pain in the ass, as students are not assigned to a particular machine.
>
> Is there a way around this? I don't immediately see where TextMate maintains license information locally.

I believe it's in each user's TextMate preferences (~/Library/Preferences/com.macromates.textmate.plist). Look for settings that begin with “OakRegistration”.

I haven't tested it, but I imagine you could copy the plist to a system-wide or network-wide preferences folder and strip out everything except the “OakRegistration” settings (and any other defaults you want for all users). That way, the license is visible to all users but all other preferences are defined in their home directory.

I would wait to hear that this is OK with Allan first, though. (Or he may know a better way.)

--
Rob McBroom
<http://www.skurfer.com/>