[TxMt] Re: Auto Indent

Dru Kepple dru at summitprojects.com
Fri Apr 30 17:38:57 UTC 2010

From: Patrick Mast
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2010 4:55 AM
Subject: [TxMt] Auto Indent

How can I enable Auto-Indent in Textmate?

________________________________

Do you mean when you type, say...

function foo() {

and then hit return, and end up on the next line, and your indentation is "plus one?"  Or the equivalent for dropped curly braces?  Or the equilvalent for whatever language you're working with?

It should be on by default, but the file you're in needs to be told what type of file it is.  Once the right language grammar is applied, it should know to auto-indent in the right places.  It's possible the grammar for your language might not be complete, or has been changed somehow.

Open up the Bundle Editor (Bundles > Bundle Editor > Show Bundle Editor, or Control-Option-Command-B), find you language in the list on the left, and look for a Preference entry called "indent" or "indentation rules," or something.  Click on it, and you should see something like this:

{ decreaseIndentPattern = '...';
 increaseIndentPattern = '...';
 indentNextLinePattern = '...';
}

Where the "..." represents a hot-and-heavy regular expression.  I don't think any of the keys are required, but I think you need to add an expression to increaseIndentPattern and also to decreaseIndentPattern...sort of what starts the indent and what closes it, I think.

Check here for some details:

http://manual.macromates.com/en/appendix.html#indentation_rules

If you don't see these entries at all, you might need to add them.  I won't get into editing bundles...it's kinda intense and I'm not the best one to tell you about it.  But if you know regular expressions, and where to look for these types of things, you can customize existing bundles pretty easily.

Hope that helps, at least a little.

+dru