[TxMt] Ruby + UI.dialog question.

Dru Kepple dru at summitprojects.com
Fri Sep 25 01:35:06 UTC 2009

I have a question about UI.dialog and/or some general Ruby usage.  I
apologize for asking about Ruby stuff here, but this particular problem
seems tied directly to the use of UI.dialog, although I'm pretty sure the
issue is actually a Ruby one on my part (I've been fine Googling for other
Ruby issues, but this one seems pretty niche).

Here's some stripped down code that works:

TextMate::UI.dialog(:nib => nib, :parameters => {}, :center => true) do
|dialog|
  dialog.parameters = {'username'   => "moo"}
  dialog.wait_for_input do |params|
    puts params["username"]
  end
end

But then I go to try and actually use something with my params hash, like
putting it into a variable declared earlier:

username = ""
TextMate::UI.dialog(:nib => nib, :parameters => {}, :center => true) do
|dialog|
  dialog.parameters = {'username'   => "moo"}
  dialog.wait_for_input do |params|
    username = params["username"]
  end
end
puts username

Now I get a task that seems to hang, which when forced to quit will report
the following error in Console:

TextMate[13634] *** -[NSMachPort handlePortMessage:]: dropping incoming DO
message because the connection or ports are invalid

Really don't know what to do with this. Sorry, I'm not good enough at either
TextMate's extra features, nor at Ruby.  I'm sure this is just a combination
of both of those deficiencies.

Thanks,
Dru