[TxMt] Using tail -f for HTML output

Schell efsubenovex at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 00:13:24 UTC 2009

Hi guys. I'd like to get rid of the terminal [for monitoring trace
output] while developing AS3 projects. I'd like to use a command like:
(code)
:>/Users/{me}/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash\
Player/Logs/flashlog.txt #truncate the flashlog
echo "<pre>"
tail -f /Users/schell/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash\
Player/Logs/flashlog.txt &
(/code)
in order to have the contents of my flashlog.txt spill into the html
output window. This would be great because I'd like to format my trace
statements with HTML.

That won't update in real time, so I've written this code instead for testing:
(code)
cat<<-HTML
<head>
    <title>untitled</title>
    <script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8">
		function update() {
			var updateCommand = TextMate.system("tail -f
/Users/schell/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash
Player/Logs/flashlog.txt", endHandler);
			updateCommand.onreadoutput = outputHandler;

			function endHandler(s) {
			}

			function outputHandler(currentStringOnStdout) {    // Code that
does something with the command’s current output like...
				document.getElementById("flashlog").innerText = currentStringOnStdout;
			}
		}
    </script>
</head>

<pre id="flashlog">
</pre>

HTML
(/code)

But with this code I never get any output. If I replace my 'tail -f'
with something like 'ping efnx.com', I get some output. Is this
because we're not allowed to access any files through this interface?
Anyone have any ideas?
--
Schell Scivally
efsubenovex at gmail.com