[TxMt] Re: R lags with beachball

Hans-Jörg Bibiko bibiko at eva.mpg.de
Fri Nov 27 14:51:45 UTC 2009

On 27.11.2009, at 15:34, Albert Vernon Smith wrote:

> I'm editing R code (under the "R" bundle), and having a number of
> issues where I keep getting the dreaded spinning beach ball, and have
> to wait a number of seconds before I can keep working. Notably,
> whenever I typing in command and then enter the first '(' there is a
> significant lag before I get the help pop-up.  This is rather
> annoying, as typing in simple statements takes a long time.
>
> I had suspected this was a 2.9 versus 2.10 help system issue, so I
> upgraded to R 2.10.0 and still had the issue.  I also deleted all
> traces of 2.9.2 and earlier from my machine, and I still have the
> issue.

I'm just rewriting the entire R bundles to get rid of all R versions "Help Issues" and to improve the speed.
The "beachballing" could indicate that you've installed a lot of R packages or :

You also mentioned your're on Mac OSX 10.5 . Maybe the issue is here also a Ruby "problem". Roughly 7 hours ago I updated the R Rdaemon.bundle to get rid of a particular Ruby command. Please try to update the R Rdaemon.bundle.

Otherwise, please be patient. I do what I can to update the bundles as soon as possible. Not only the R versions R 2.10 and <R 2.10 are the problems but also Mac OSX 10.6 and 10.5. ....

Regards,
--Hans