[TxMt] R lags with beachball

Albert Vernon Smith avsmith at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 14:34:13 UTC 2009

I'm editing R code (under the "R" bundle), and having a number of
issues where I keep getting the dreaded spinning beach ball, and have
to wait a number of seconds before I can keep working. Notably,
whenever I typing in command and then enter the first '(' there is a
significant lag before I get the help pop-up.  This is rather
annoying, as typing in simple statements takes a long time.

I had suspected this was a 2.9 versus 2.10 help system issue, so I
upgraded to R 2.10.0 and still had the issue.  I also deleted all
traces of 2.9.2 and earlier from my machine, and I still have the
issue.

I'm running MacOSX 10.5.8.  Perhaps I am seeing an issue for something
different between 10.5 and 10.6, but I am unable to upgrade to 10.6
for the time being.

I don't know if this is related, but when I start the Rdaemon, I also
see an error:

--
/Users/albert/Library/Application
Support/Rdaemon/daemon/startScript.sh: line 173:

( -
regular

( + 2: syntax error in expression (error token is "( -
regular

( + 2")

--

-albert